Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Playschool Day 3

Our goal today was to meet Ms. Y with a smile (no tears), just has Ms. Y had requested at the end of the last class. Here's how it went...

This morning before class, Jaydon told me he didn't want to go to school. Then he asked that I come with him. I reminded him that there were no Mommies and Daddies and that I would be back at the end of class to to pick him up. We talked about the fun things he gets to do, some of the people he gets to see and, of course, we couldn't forget that he gets to race on the track one day when the weather is nice. He didn't mention staying home after that. When it was time to go he was very cooperative. When we pulled into the school parking lot, he was eager to get out of the car and head to class. As in the past, he was fine going to the classroom, but as we walked in and Ms. Y approached us, big tears welled up in his eyes. They were HUGE tears that he bravely held back, and amazingly not a tear rolled down his face. He didn't cry, though he still seemed unsure. Despite the tears still in his eyes, he mustered up a smile for Ms. Y and gave her a hug. He gave me a hug and kiss, too, before I said goodbye. Once I left the classroom, I stood by the door and looked through the window to watch for awhile. I saw Ms. Y show him the craft they were going to make (a sock puppet) and she brought out another sock puppet to play with. He never looked back at the door to look for me, and as I watched I could see that at points he was smiling.

Today was the first day I almost cried when I dropped him off. Seriously, the tears were welling up in my eyes. Even as I relay this story now, I've got tears forming. I wish I could come up with just the right words to capture what happened today, but I can't. All I know is that this was a huge moment for Jay. It was so grown up of him, and I'm so proud of him.

No comments: