Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Allergy Update

Since about late February, Jay (and I) have been generally miserable (me more so than him). We've been hit hard with major congestion and general snotty-ness. We've gone through at least two dozen kleenex boxes between the two of us and have had many many an uncomfortable night, either congested and/or coughing.

Thinking this must be allergies and desperate for some relief, I scheduled Jay for another allergist appointment. As luck would have it, the attack came just after Jaydon had his last appointment with the allergist, so at that time it never occured to us to have him tested for seasonal allergies or indoor allergens. Of course, we had to wait two months before we could see the doctor. While we waited for his appointment, we thought it best to stay away from allergy medicine so as not to affect the test results...and meanwhile, we just felt blah! I refrained from taking any allergy medication, too, just so the doctor could see how similar Jay and I were in our current states.

Our appointment was today...FINALLY! Jay was awesome! Here's what he was tested for and the results:

Grass - not allergic
Dust - not allergic
Dogs - not allergic
Tree Pollen - Allergic

The good news is he's only allergic to tree pollen. Tree pollen is a seasonal thing which means that by June he should be free and clear of the sneezies and snifflies (at least until next spring). With allergy medicine (zyrtec), nasal spray (nasonex), and over-the-counter and prescription creams/ointments, we're armed with tools to combat this seasonal allergy. I'll let you know how it goes. In June, the doctor told us to stop the meds. If Jay is fine, we'll wait until the Fall for a follow-on checkup. If Jay continues to be allergy-ridden after we stop the meds, then we'll be back to the allergist to see if we can figure out what's going on.

No comments: