Saturday, October 25, 2008

Almost Falling

Jaydon had been sleeping soundly in bed (a couple of hours) and Brian and I were watching a movie downstairs when we heard Jay calling for me...

"Mom! Mommy!"

I ran up the stairs (he hasn't been feeling well the past few days and I wanted to respond quickly). I opened the door to his room and was met by a thick hazy mist. I couldn't see a thing. Not to worry - I knew it wasn't smoke - it was the humidifier. We had a humidifier running in his room to help with his cold and we had left the door closed. This created the blinding haze. After processing that the cool mist humidifier had in fact made a cool mist, I worked my way to his bed, looked down and didn't immediately see him. I was a bit confused. Then I heard Jay again say "Mommy." Followed by "I'm falling." He said everything so matter-of-factly and calmly, I thought - he didn't say "falling", did he? Nevertheless, I thought, oh no...he's fallen...no thump?...no crying? It was reassuring to know that his room is covered in a fairly plush carpet that would soften a fall. I didn't want to cause panic, so I moved with caution, felt around, and first found his head. I had to feel for him because between the blinding mist and my horrible vision in the dark (despite the fact that Jaydon has two nightlights in the room), I could barely see a thing. Then I realized he was half in bed and half out. Jaydon had miraculously fallen out of bed, but only half-way! WHAT! He must have inherited the lightning fast reflexes of his father! So I slowly repositioned him in his bed and asked if he was ok. He responded with, "My hair is wet." That darn humidifier made everything in his room a little damp. Then he promptly snuggled with Nanu (his little stuffed polar bear) and fell right back to sleep. So cute!

PS. Jay sleeps in his big boy bed (a twin) with no rails. He's only ever fallen out one time since he's been his bed this way. That one time might have been when he was awake and playing around, though. I really can't remember now. It's late...I gotta get to bed.

No comments: