Jay's newest passion - VOLCANOES. My newest passion - VOLCANOES.
It started with...can you guess...Yoga Kids. They show a volcano for "Volcano" pose on the DVD. Jay is an expert at "Volcano" pose, and was fascinated early on by the volcano on the DVD.
Next, we recently checked out a book from the library called Dinosnores by Kelly DiPuccio. It's not primary to the story, but there's a volcano in it. When we read the book (which we have done over and over and over again since we checked it out), we have to pause and reflect on the volcano.
Finally, yesterday, we were at the library again, and Jaydon kept asking for books with volcanoes. And so it is official - Jaydon and I have started an independent study of volcanoes.
First things first...I had to ask the librarian how to pull up nonfiction books for kids only (it's been a LONG time since I've had to do that). Answer - you type the subject followed by the word "juvenile". I'm sure we'll be using this search feature a lot in the future. It's funny to think that when I was little, computers didn't exist. It's so quick and easy to search for things on-line, find out if they're available, request materials be held for you, or request things for loan from other libraries. I have used all these features in the past year, and found it very handy!
Back to the task at hand...we found three books of interest. Jaydon was so excited. Right there in the middle of the aisle, we plopped ourselves down and "read" one of the books (Volcano - The Eruption and Healing of Mount St. Helens) about 5 times before I finally "persuaded" Jaydon is was time to go. A tantrum was kept at bay (just barely) by letting Jay carry the St. Helens book to the checkout counter. He was not about to let that book go. On the way to checkout, he kept saying, "let's go pay". I explained to him that we "borrow" books from the library, and we didn't have to pay (although I'm pretty sure he already knows this about the library). He put down the book only to get his hands stamped and let the librarian scan it and date stamp it. Then he carried the St. Helens book out to the car and "read" it in his car seat on the ride home.
It's a short ride home from the library, but we squeezed in a phone call to Nana because Jaydon wanted to share the great news about his volcano books and his general excitement about volcanoes. Nana got to hear a LOT about volcanoes from Jaydon.
As an aside, I love how Jay says "hot lava". It comes out "hot yah-va".
In the spirit of getting the full educational experience, Brian says we should definitely go to Hawaii. Ah...if only it were that easy!
Here's the other two books we checked out:
What is a Volcano? (A Just Ask Book) - by Chris Arvetis
At bedtime tonight, I told Jay that when we go to the lake tomorrow, we could build volcanoes with the sand. He was very excited. And the water could be the "hot yah-va".
The dandelion craze is ever so slowly fading. Dandelion season seems to be at its tail end, and it is very rare anymore that we can find one. Thank goodness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment