Sunday, February 8, 2009

Our First Drop-Off Class

Jaydon is in his first ever drop-off program. It's at the library for three-year-olds. He loves it. The first day had a shaky start due to the fact that I thought (incorrectly) that he would be getting a new teacher, Ms. Eileen, someone who we hadn't met before. I kept talking about how he would have Ms. Eileen as his teacher...yada yada yada...so when the big day arrived and we walked into his class and there was Ms. Patty, who we both are very familiar with from previous classes and who we both really really like, Jaydon was confused. He said, "Where's Ms. Eileen?" Jaydon kept looking for her. I couldn't convince him that Ms. Eileen was not coming. If I had known it was going to be Ms. Patty from the beginning, I believe all would have gone smoothly that first day. Instead, Jay asked me to come in the class with him, which I did. I stayed for the first 5 or 10 minutes, sitting at the side of the room, while Jaydon sat with the rest of the class, obviously having a good time. I would've snuck out earlier, but it took a while before Jay looked over at me and I could tell him I was going out...the last thing I wanted was for him to look up and find me missing. When he did finally look over at me, I gestured that I would be leaving the room. Jaydon gave me an ok, so I was off. No issues from that point on.

In a way I'm glad Jay wanted me to be there for the first part of class. It gave me the opportunity to watch the kids in action up close...kids are so cool and they do and say so many funny things...watching them in a classroom setting also gives you such a great sense of how they are growing up and is such a treat. I'm sure I didn't stop smiling the whole time.

I should also note that while the class is drop-off, parents are required to stay in the library during class. It's a nice way to transition to the real deal when the kids get dropped off and Mommy and/or Daddy leave altogether. Also, it's cool because every once in awhile you can peek in and see what they're doing, hopefully with no one in the classrooom noticing you. At the end of class, there's this mass exodus of kids from the room. I love it when they all rush out, especially when I see Jay running toward me. Can I just say that I love watching Jaydon do anything. He is so cool!

No comments: