Sunday, May 25, 2008

Jaydon Speak

New or Noteworthy Jaydon Speak...

===============

"I want..."

Ah...communication has been taken to an all new level. This is new as of the past couple of weeks (I was surprised he didn't start using this a lot earlier). Often times he'll just say, "I want something. I want something." But he doesn't say what. I think it's a combination of being tired and hoping that I'll think of something for him.

===============

"I want to do it." or "I can do it."

Jaydon says this a LOT! Opening things, closing things, putting on things, taking off things, paying at the cash register (he loves swiping a credit card), signing receipts, etc., etc., etc...

"We're a team! Let's do it together!" is perhaps my most commonly used counter-phrase, along with, "Mommy's turn, then Jaydon's turn." or "Mommy's turn first. Jaydon's turn next." That usually works out pretty well. We just can't ever be in a hurry.

===============

"I", "You", "Me"

Jaydon's been correctly using "I" in his sentences, such as, "I can do it" instead of "Jaydon can do it". It's probably a 60/40 split between "I" and "Jaydon" as the subject. Now if only I can stop referring to myself in the third person. Instead of saying, "Mommy's turn", use proper English and say, "My turn".

He's also been correctly using "you" and "me" in sentences, although he mixes these up occasionally, too. This part of our language is so confusing to explain.

===============

If Jaydon sees a group of people, he'll say, "There's people."

If Jaydon sees a stranger that's a man, he'll say, "That's a man."

If Jaydon sees a stranger that's a woman, he'll say, "That's a people."

If we correct Jay and say, "That's a woman." He'll say, "That's a people."

===============

"Scared"

After our second Tiny Trotters class, when Jaydon was describing to Brian what he did at class that day, he said, "Jaydon scared of turkey." This was the first time Jaydon's ever used the word "scared", and thus far, it's the only thing he's told us he's scared of.

Turkeys can be pretty intimidating, I suppose. The turkey we saw at Tiny Trotters (and had the opportunity to touch) was just about as tall as Jaydon. He had a huge red wrinkly waddle at the base of his neck and when he puffed out his feathers he was BIG.

===============

It always gives Bri and I a chuckle when Jaydon jumps into our conversations, which he does quite a bit. We'll be chatting away, and Jaydon will chime in, all serious-like, on the subject. For example, yesterday we were talking about how a delivery truck drove over our curb and cracked it. We were not happy with the situation. It was a big crack and we didn't know what to do to fix it. Next thing ya know, Jaydon started in (very dramatically), "That's a BIG crack. Right over there. That's a BIG crack." All the while, he was standing no where near the crack and pointing at our house instead of the curb.

===============

No comments: